Education and Training
University Archives & Historical Collections staff provide training and workshops for managing electronic records at MSU (PDF)*. Current offerings are shown below. If a course is not being currently offered, we recommend the University of Stirling's good practice guidance or one of the tutorials further down on this page.
The UAHC staff hosts workshops on records-related issues. Listed below are our current offerings.
The following documents have been created by the UAHC to aid units in managing their electronic records and as a supplement to the workshops and tutorials.
- Creating a records mangement plan (PDF)*
- Conventions for naming electronic files and folders (PDF)*
- Scanning 101 (PDF)*
- What do I do with my files? (PDF)*
- How to create PDF/A files from MS Word 2010 (PC) (PDF)*
- How to create PDF/A files from MS Word 2007 (PC) (PDF)*
- How to create PDF files from MS Outlook 2010 (PC) (PDF)*
While e-mail has become an increasingly important part of the daily work routine, few individuals have received instruction on how to actually manage e-mail messages. The following document provides guidelines for managing your MSU email.
Electronic file management
Drawing upon surveys and in-depth interviews conducted as part of the NHPRC Managing the Digital University Desktop Project, the following sections list some of the most frequently voiced concerns regarding electronic file management. The responses to these questions are based upon university policies and generally accepted industry standards for records management.
- Guideline and policies (PDF)*
- Keeping and deleting (PDF)*
- Management (PDF)*
- Access and security (PDF)*
- File management training (PDF)*