Education and Training
University Archives & Historical Collections staff provide training on and workshops for records retention and management at MSU. Current offerings are shown below. If a course is not being currently offered, we recommend reviewing the reference documents and additional resources on this page or contacting the University Archives to schedule a free consultation or class with the Records Manager.
The UAHC staff hosts workshops as part of PDS on records-related issues. Listed below are our current offerings.
Records Management and Retention at MSU
March 8, 2017; 2:30-4:30pm
Nisbet, Room 10
Unsure which business records to keep and for how long? This two hour course provides an introduction to the regulations, strategies, and best practices for managing your unit’s records.
Register online through EBS and Professional Development Services at http://professionaldevelopment.hr.msu.edu/courses
The following documents have been created by the UAHC to aid units in managing their records and as a supplement to the workshops and tutorials.
- Creating a records mangement plan (PDF)*(opens in new window)
- Transferring Records to the Archives
- Conventions for naming electronic files and folders (PDF)*(opens in new window)
- Scanning 101 (PDF)*(opens in new window)
- How to create PDF/A files from MS Word 2010 (PC) (PDF)*(opens in new window)
- How to create PDF/A files from MS Word 2007 (PC) (PDF)*(opens in new window)
- How to create PDF files from MS Outlook 2010 (PC) (PDF)*(opens in new window)
Records Management Presentations
Electronic File Management
Drawing upon surveys and in-depth interviews conducted as part of the NHPRC Managing the Digital University Desktop Project, the following sections list some of the most frequently voiced concerns regarding electronic file management. The responses to these questions are based upon university policies and generally accepted industry standards for records management.
- Guideline and policies (PDF)*(opens in new window)
- Keeping and deleting (PDF)*(opens in new window)
- Management (PDF)*(opens in new window)
- Access and security (PDF)*(opens in new window)
- File management training (PDF)*(opens in new window)
While e-mail has become an increasingly important part of the daily work routine, few individuals have received instruction on how to actually manage e-mail messages. The following document provides some preliminary guidelines for managing your MSU email.
Additional video tutorials are available here.